Wednesday, 15 August 2007

The battle continues...

OK, a further advancement to the NVIDIA driver saga...

Just out of pure chance i had a look on the NVIDIA website to see if anything new was on the latest release least, if you haven't read before, like many others, i am currently suffering the crash problems with the 162.22 ForceWare drivers...

Anyway, i know 163.11 are the current BETA drivers on offer should you want to try them out, but low and behold 162.22 are still the official release.

One thing that did occur when i went to update to this version was the option to download the main driver or the international release. Now in the past when i went to go for the international version, the website crashed! So at that point i had helped myself to a copy of the regular driver (for some reason the base one is about 45meg and the international version totals around 70meg?)

Like i was saying, when i first tried it crashed, and since that point i had forgotten about it...

Randomly yesterday, Vista dragged down 9 new updates, security stuff mostly, although nothing to sort my laptop battery(!), see my last post for an explanation on that one! Just while i was having a quick browse on the info of the new updates i noticed there was an optional update which i duely clicked and turned out to be a driver for the 8800GPU card....?

From the explanation it was the same 162.22 driver but the international version, which i had completely forgotten about! Instead of letting Windows Update do the honours i went to NVIDIA.com and this time the link to the international version worked!

So with the 158.24 and nTune removed (again!) i loaded on the international 162.22 and then nTune back on top, i know some people say this crap but it does offer some BIOS info that saves having to reboot and go into the BIOS itself.

After install everything seemed OK, i set the res for the screen and enabled SLI and there were no immeadiate problems...

Come to today and again after around an hour the nvlddmkm has stopped working guff appears again and once again renders the computer as useless!

Ive given up swearing and shouting at this problem now, and just before i revert back to 158.24 i decided to have a hunt round t'internet for a potential fix or solution, and came across a very interesting comment posted on the NVIDIA forum itself regarding adding a value into the registry. The post can be found on the following link and  the author is Yerolo, which you will find roughly half way down the page.

Click here to go to Nvidia.com forum!


Now im not overlly confident with every last detail of the Windows Registry, but understand it enough to make minor changes. In which case i have carried out the addition of the two keys as detailed in that link.

Now, so-far-so-good, the nvlddmkm is yet to throw another tantrum, and so far, the PC has been running for around 2.5 hours at the time of writting this post, with no problems at all... ive even had a conciderable stint on Battlefield 2 with no problems...

I will monitor this for a week and report my progress back here and if i still encounter the same problems. If you wish to try the registry keys then please make sure you know what you are doing, or ask someone who does. If i personally do not have any future problem, i will create a guide on exactly how to perform the mod.

No comments:

Post a Comment